Install the chain and tension it. Assignment 3 3.1 Designation 8 4. Once the old gasket and sealant is all cleaned off and you’ve sanded down the locating pins as I previously explained, you’re ready to reassemble. Stihl 034 036 036QS Service Repair Manual. Common solutions for: Stihl Chainsaw won't start. After than stuff is in place, put the cover for those springs back on and install the clutch drum in the reverse order you disassembled it. Lift the top portion of the chain and turn the adjusting screw until the bottom of the drive link is even with the top of the bar. You only need to remove one clip to remove the linkage pin. If the carburetor is clogged, try cleaning it with carburetor cleaner. You’ll have a hard time attaching the cover without this hole added. Safety Equipment. If any are worn, as indicated by the dotted lines, replace the chain. I don’t have a photo of my set up for splitting the case, so words will have to suffice. Our latest shed is also a pavilion—and you can build it, too! i got a stihl MS 271 that has ran great (~60 hours) for me since buying it used from a dealer. You really don’t want to twist the piston once you have it seated in the cylinder, so get the alignment as close as possible before you push the piston in. This chain saw, for example, could have come from the factory with any of several 18-in. Clean the air filter with gas, toothbrush and … Repeat the above process with the remaining ring and place it in the upper groove on the piston. $10.69 $ 10. I ended up using a flat razor blade to scrape away the material. Herein lies the tail of rebuilding the engine of my Stihl 026. Install the chain and tension it. Now that the case is back together, I’m going to remove the piston and install the new one. Good luck. Hold the bar up while you tighten the bar nuts. I used a heavy oil for 2 stroke motors. Run the chain saw with no load at half throttle for several minutes until the bar and chain are warm. When starting a unit, make sure to follow the starting instructions in your instruction manual.The manual provides the proper instruction for starting procedures, but there are many conditions that may affect how the unit starts. Here I have installed the piston rings. The saw didn’t do any better after the. Join Prime to save $2.14 on this item. Here’s a tip. Run the chain saw with no load at half throttle for several minutes until the bar and chain are warm. In time it can cause engine damage. Impact Drill: What It Is and When Do You Use it? Here’s a little tip for ya:  When you remove the fly wheel, have the magnetic side facing away from the magneto. Even with meticulous care, a chain saw's drive sprocket and bar eventually wear out and must be replaced. Chain Saw Repair This repair guide will help you understand your Lawn and Garden equipment, so you can repair them yourself with ease. Safety Precautions 2 2. It’s a good idea to not lose these just in case you lose the new clips when you install the new piston. Now I’ll move on to preparing the new piston assembly. Start by hammering around the crank shaft area with light “circling” taps. « Carburetor Rebuild, A Dying Chainsaw’s Last Words. A Service Manual detailing the various troubleshoot faults and problems, as well as more complete chainsaw repair information, is available to download. Remove the chain and bar so you can fully check all the components, starting with the drive sprocket (Photo 1). Measure the span of three rivets (center to center) and divide that number by two to determine the chain’s pitch. It is keyed and sits on a tapered shaft, so just turn the flywheel until it drops into place and then tighten it down. Now you’re ready to slap the two pieces together. bar. The easiest way to get the right chain in your chain saw repair is to take your saw to a dealer. Then check for wear on the chain’s tie straps. The reason the rings seem oversized is so that they will compress in the piston ring groove and slide against the inside of the cylinder. To work properly, the new chain must have the same drive link thickness, chain pitch and number of drive links. You have to angle the screw driver into the direction that you are pulling or the spring will slip right off. The STIHL Video Library is your best resource for informative videos about STIHL. No need to get the entire case completely pressed together, you can finish closing it up with the crank case screws. The STIHL chainsaw is one of the best home power tools on the market. Carburetors Contents 1. Stihl Carburetor Rebuild on a Stihl 036 Chainsaw. Many DIYers make the mistake of replacing just the chain when their machine isn’t cutting right. A good bar has an elliptical shape. FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon. But if you see wear grooves, replace it. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to remove the driveshaft E-clip. I simply couldn’t see them with all of the swarf that was packed in the saw. You will need to scrape off the old gasket and clean up the surface so that a new gasket can be installed. Over time the sprocket can develop slight grooves. Your email address will not be published. Stihl Chainsaw Repair Help. 69. These are easier to remove than they are to replace. If I missed something, call me out on it. Alright, so here we are again. You’ll need to use your rope again and stuff it into the cylinder through the spark plug hole to bind the piston so that you can tighten down the fly wheel. Ok ok, enough about that. This will bind the piston and allow to you to remove the flywheel. To begin, stuff a cord into the spark plug hole. Slide the saw (flywheel facing up) against the bench so that this area is “filled” by the bench top and that the left side inside edge is sitting against the top of the bench. The saw was dreadfully low on compression and would not run. This service manual contains repair and servicing procedures for most carburetors used by Stihl. No worries if you follow my process though. My Stihl Chainsaw was "waffling" when in the cut so I put a new gasket kit on the carburetor. Then comes the tricky part, and I recommend safety glasses just in case. You can replace all the drive components yourself in about an hour. 01 - Spark Plug. Need help finding your model number? Then engage the chain with the drive sprocket. I have a few ms311 parts but it was a complete meltdown too.very few usable parts.if I were you I would take the cylinder and check it carefully.it doesnt look like the plating can stand much without major scoring.I dont have too much faith Iin the new stihl consumer saws.havent found one yet that hasnt had some kind of problem. Next is to put the springs in place for your chain brake. Also, I removed the magneto at this point, but only to clean behind it. A bar with a flat edge should be replaced. chain will work on your 18-in. Set the spring into its hole just before the inlet needle with the needle nosed pliers. He showed us how to keep a saw on the cutting edge. I have, quite literally, a pile of saws that need repair or rebuild. But you can figure out the correct chain specs yourself. Once the case was apart, I went nuts trying to clean out every nook and cranny of this thing. I removed the cover that protects the chain brake springs. The most common reason is due to too many attempts trying to start the machine in the choke position. That mixture, plus dirt or debris that makes it way past the air filter, can cause a gummy sticky mess that will affect the proper function of a carburetor. Then lift off the old sprocket. A Stihl saw is a powerful tool to use for landscaping. 7 possible causes and potential solutions . These screws can be reached with the oil pump and springs in place. Chainsaws are powerful tools that make pruning, cutting and ice sculpting far easier than using a hedge trimmer, an axe or an ice pick. Hahaha, smack a nut. If the bar has a nose sprocket, rotate it with your finger. The fly wheel is pretty easy. Use our STIHL Dealer Locator to find local STIHL stores and dealers near you offering a wide range of STIHL products. Don’t be like me and remember to just use your chainsaw wrench! This sticky fuel can clog up the carburetor and cause the chainsaw engine to stall. Most Common Problems. Then remove the drive sprocket cover and swap in the new sprocket (Photo 5). The only other thing to note is that if you are upgrading to a cylinder head that has a decompression valve, you’ll need to drill a hole in your top cover to allow access for the valve. It will significantly diminish the time you will spend on:Pruning (cleaning up bushes, shrubbery, or trees you … I just used a 3/4″ forstner bit in a hand drill. Why did I put oil on the cylinder? Set the ring in the lower of the two grooves on the outside of the piston and align the split with the small pin in the groove. I also have a go pro that will be used for video. After a half hour, let the chain cool and then re-tension it. Be sure to read and fully understand your chainsaw's Instruction Manual for more in-depth instructions and safety procedures specific to your saw. The softer material is used so that you don’t damage the nut. These are made of iron and can be easily broken if you’re hamfisted. Install the drive cover, lining up the adjusting screw mechanism with the notch in the bar. It can cut through ice, concrete and trees with ease. Whew, that was wordy. 5 possible causes and potential solutions . Next, examine the bar as you continue some chain saw repair. Don’t pay a landscaping company or tree trimming/removal company when you can easily and efficiently DIY. I figured that since I’m going through all of this work, I might as well get the saw as clean as possible while I’ve got it in pieces. It’s 100:1 as compared to the usual 50:1 and worked great for this application. A Dying Chainsaw’s Last Words: Top End Rebuild Unfortunately for me, rebuilding the carburetor was not enough for my 026. Fear not, they are correct. Chainsaw Carburetor. Honestly, the minimum that needs to be accomplished here is to keep debris out of the crank shaft area. Over time, some of the ingredients in the fuel may evaporate, leaving behind a thicker, stickier substance. Then lay the gasket on the right half of the crank case. Now reconnect the wires to the magneto and set it in place. Get a hammer and gently begin tapping against the crank shaft from the flywheel side. The Stihl MS 650 and MS 660 chainsaw service and repair Troubleshooting guide will help with the repair and service of a chainsaw. Chainsaw starts then stalls. There is a little split in each of the piston rings. I'm having a difficult time getting it going again. You rely on your chainsaw to get the job done quickly so you can move on to the other chores on your very long list. Chainsaw Chain Mender. If you didn’t take these out, then skip ahead a bit. You’ll need three numbers: the number of drive links, their thickness (gauge) and the ‘pitch’ of the chain. This will create a gap and insure that your ignition system is setup properly. Construction/Function 9 5.1 Fuel Pump 9 5.2 Operating Conditions 11 5.2.1 Full Load 11 5.2.2 Idle 12 5.2.3 Carburetor with […] Unfortunately my troubles did not end with the carburetor rebuild. The 029 needs a new piston and cylinder for sure....I'm not yet certain of the condition of the 290---a stripped stud has prevented me from enough disassembly to determine P/C condition. Stihl 028 038 Chain Saw Service Repair Manual. And the chain pitch must exactly match the drive sprocket. Maintain a light load (only small limbs and branches) for the first half hour and make sure the chain has extra lube. Then you’re good to go. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Wear work gloves to protect your hands. Your information will never be shared or sold to a 3rd party. The sides should curve outward slightly. Finally, check for flat spot wear (Photo 4). Take it nice and easy and you’ll be just fine. QAZAKY Carburetor Kit Replacement for Stihl 021 023 025 MS210 MS230 MS250 Chainsaw Walbro WT-286 WT-215 Zama C1Q-S11E C1Q-S11G 1123-120-0603 … Once you are finished, your piston should look like the one in the photo below. I used Yamabond 4. If the curve is more pronounced on one side, replace the bar. This one is 3/8 in. Push the spindle through the circular hole on the inlet control lever. Continue doing this until the case begins to open at the seam. One is the fly wheel and magneto. Chainsaws are a great tool for all sorts of tasks. Picking out colors, I'm really loving how this rustic coffee table is, How do you add rustic character back to wood after, The mobile workbench has been finished for a week, Another sneak peek at a feature I'm really excited, This error message is only visible to WordPress admins. Break the nut free and unthread it just until the nut is sitting proud. Purpose of Carburetor 8 5. At a minimum, you need to disconnect the wires that are attached to it so that you can remove the handle in a bit. Stihl Parts List for the Stihl chainsaw. Chainsaw won't start. Hilarious! Give everything one last wipe down and inspect the gasket surfaces for any debris. Keeping your chain saw's bar, chain and drive sprocket in tip-top shape involves more than regular chain sharpening and re-tensioning. In this video series, STIHL professionals provide a variety of chainsaw how to videos and demo videos to assist in the operation of STIHL chainsaws. Here’s a tip for reassembly, wrap some sand paper around the locating pins and the bearing area of the crank shaft and sand them down ever so slightly. With a few different tips to try, you can get your oil pump fully working again. If you’re wondering why I split the case to begin with, it was so that I could replace the main crank case gasket. You’ll probably break something. The first of the saws I would like to get to are a Stihl 029 Super and a Stihl MS290. Air Test. The piston was heavily scored and the piston rings were completely worn. Now push the pin in the direction of the missing cir clip. 56 If you see any wear, replace the chain. It should roll easily with no noise or binding. Required Part. Lots of scoring can occur while an engine is being broken in because the rings and cylinder haven’t been coated with oil yet. A shiny spot where the drive links engage with the sprocket teeth is OK. If cleaning the carburetor isn’t effective, rebuild or replace the entire carburetor. Lay a straightedge along both sides of the bar. Whether you need more facts on featured products or have questions about equipment operation, the library is here 24/7 to provide what you need when you need it. But the drive sprocket, bar and chain work together as a system, and wear on any one of these three components affects the operation of the others. If cleaning the carburetor isn’t effective, rebuild or replace the entire carburetor. Remove the air filter cover and the air filter. Line up the two halves (right side against the bench) and use your hammer to begin tapping the assembly together. Grab a piece of mild steel or brass and set it on the nut. Drain the fuel tank. There are a few other things that need to go back together before you’re done. I discuss how to completely rebuild the crankcase and top end in my post: A Dying Chainsaw’s Last Words: Top End Rebuild. Using the needle nosed pliers, engage the control lever's clevis with the … A drive sprocket wears where it contacts the drive links. Place the tip of your thumbs in this split and gently spread the ring open so that it will slide over the piston. Then give it a solid smack with a hammer. Don’t expect or try to make the case come apart in 5 hits. No Video Available. A STIHL chainsaw is worth the investment and can be used for a wide variety of home projects. I used the corner of my workbench as the surface of contact in the area of the crankcase where the handle attaches. Also a Parts List, Operator Manual, and carburetor manual are After removing the 4 torx screws out of cylinder, I lifted the cylinder away from the saw and quickly realized that I was on the right path to restoring power to this engine. The other items that remain are covered in the. Next, check the drive links and the tie straps for wear (Photo 2). Hook the long non-coiled section of the spring into the rocker arm that’s in front of the chain brake lever. Enter model number to search for the required part specific to your product. Time to pull out the spark plug. Stihl 045 056 Chain Saw Service Repair Manual. Now you need to hook the other end around a peg that is about an inch away. Chain Sharpener. Run your finger gently along the bottom edge of each drive link-they should come to a sharp point. View solutions. The magneto is the black block with a wire going to it located at about 4 o’clock relative to the fly wheel. Measure the remaining portion of the cutting blade. I don’t want someone learning from this tutorial and screwing up their saw! Putting the squeeze on these gorgeous Ambrosia Map, All I can say is thank goodness for having an outf, Before going to town with the Restorer and adding, This stain color is on point! Tweet. The first step is to lube up the cylinder. Poweka Carburetor Carb Rebuild Kit for Stihl 029 039 044 046 MS270 MS280 MS290 MS341 MS361 Chainsaw Walbro K10-HD. Stihl 030 031 032 Chain Saw Service Repair Manual. First, put the band that encircles the clutch drum in place. Once the locating pins begin aligning with their respective holes, hammer directly above those areas. This will allow you to reassemble the case without needing so much force (which you won’t be able to evenly apply without a press). The next step can probably be omitted, but I sometimes get a little particular about how clean things are. (the most popular size for chain saws for home use). I did actually get a picture of this, so examine the photo if words don’t do it for you. Search Help by Model. Remember to always wear the proper Chainsaw Protective Apparel when using your chainsaw. Put the chain in a disposable pie pan, pour bar oil over it and let it soak for an hour or so to thoroughly lubricate the pivot points. Once the case begins coming apart, gently use a screwdriver pry to case open. The carburetor on a Stihl chainsaw channels a mixture of two-cycle oil and gasoline into the engine. If the drive sprocket and links are good, check the length of the remaining blades (Photo 3). Here’s how I set the piston into the cylinder. Line up the piston so that the ring splits are facing away from the exhaust port (rectangular opening in cylinder). The manual contains diagrams and accurate information as used by professional mechanics and repair shops to troubleshoot and repair the chainsaw. Be sure the antikickback brake is released- check by moving the chain (with gloved hands). Once the piston is off, I scraped the surface smooth where the new gasket will live. 4.5 out of 5 stars 46. How to Repair a Chain Saw Chain By Contributing Writer Things You'll Need. Since all chain movement starts at the drive sprocket, check it first for chain saw repair. By the DIY experts of The Family Handyman Magazine. Watch this video to learn how to properly start your STIHL Chainsaw.Learn tips and techniques on what to do and what not to do when operating your chainsaw. I’ve laid out all of the components for the cylinder and piston. A word of caution, the crank case is aluminum and can easily be gouged by the razor blade. I cleaned out all this junk and removed the big coil spring along with the band that encircles the clutch drum. Screwdriver or Rivet Punch. Just days ago in the middle of cutting a ~3' ash on the ground for firewood, the saw bogged and shut down. To install a new sprocket, slip it into place and snap on the E-clip with a needle-nose pliers. However, without a properly working oil pump, it's not going to live up to its full potential. Buying the right chain is more complicated than you might think in chain saw repair. Put the chain in a disposable pie pan, pour bar oil over it and let it soak for an hour or so to thoroughly lubricate the pivot points. Introduction 2 3. I had to squirt a little penetrating oil on this a let it soak for about 10 minutes before it could be persuaded to move. It was still pretty manageable. Snug the retaining nuts just enough to hold the bar but allow you to adjust chain tension. USPEEDA Carburetor Repair Rebuild Kit for Echo CS302 HC210 PB210 E PB400 SRM4600 SRM4605 Stihl 028AV 031AV 032 032AV 010 010AV 011 011AV 020 020AV 5.0 out of 5 stars 1 $7.56 $ 7 . chain/bar combinations. After cleaning and repositioning the oil pump, I was able to locate three screws that needed to be removed so that I could separate the crank case. Log in. Home Tools, Gear & Equipment Power Equipment Chainsaws. We will guide you through the common symptoms and parts for blowers, chain saws, cultivators, edgers, engines, hedge trimmers, lawn mowers, lawn tractors, pole saws, pruners, and snow blowers. The flywheel mates onto a tapered shaft. I occasionally forget that the chainsaw wrench also fits the spark plug and end up fumbling through my socket set to get the spark plug socket. Then tension the chain (Photo 6). We recommend our users to update the browser. If this method seems unsettling, then try using pliers. All good? Stihl 041 041AV Chain Saw Service Repair Manual. Shut off the motor, let the chain cool and then re-tension the chain for your chain saw repair. You will probably notice that the rings seem to be very loose on the piston and maybe you’ll think they are even too big. If the blade measures 1/8 in. 10 New Hart Tools DIYers Should Buy at Walmart Immediately, Best Lighting for Your Garage and Workshop, Oscillating Tool Reviews: Learn How to Find the Best Oscillating Tool, 15 Things All DIYers Should Know About Bench Grinders, 14 Ways to Use a Rotary Tool That Will Have People Buzzing, Battery Powered Lawn Mower and Other Cordless Yard Tools: What You Need to Know, We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer), 5 Problems When Parking Your Vehicle a Week or Longer (and How To Prevent Them), 9 Things You Should Never Do to Your Chain Saw, Battery-Powered Chain Saw Recommendations, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents. Stihl 029 039 Chain Saw Service Repair Manual. Fit the inlet needle onto the carburetor body using the needle nosed pliers. Don’t assume any 18-in. In a well-ventilated area, remove the … Get it as soon as Thu, Dec 3. Loosely run in the two torx screws and slide a business card between the flywheel and magneto. We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer) as we strive to provide site experiences for browsers that support new web standards and security practices. Deep grooves, however, can be a sign of improper lubrication, excessive chain tension or pushing a chain saw beyond its limit. To further explain…  Look at the bottom of the crankcase… See the area that is empty (where the handle usually lives)? You’ll need to apply gasket sealant to each side of the case in an even and thin layer. What the whole crank shaft is just spinning? In fact, placing a new chain on a worn drive sprocket can cause rapid chain wear, as well as tensioning and binding problems. Thanks for reading, and feel free to leave any questions or comments. Now to separate the crank case. There are two cir clips that set in an internal groove on the piston where the linkage pin and roller bearing live. or less, replace with a new chain. If they’re mismatched, you’ll never get the proper tension. I used a screw driver that was just the right size! Repair and service the chainsaw with this manual (IPL), which contains clear repair photos. Best of luck, and I hope this information was helpful for you. If not, replace the bar. Wrap the chain around the bar with the cutting edges facing forward. In hindsight, this would have been a little easier while the saw was still apart. Examine the drive sprocket teeth for wear grooves. Spreading a bit of this stuff inside the cylinder before I install the piston gives me a good chance of missing out on some of this premature engine wear. I need a doctor, the patient is not breathing! Doctor! We asked our small-engine expert, Roger Wyatt at Reed's Sales & Service, to walk us through a typical chain saw 'front-end job.' Stihl 044 Chain Saw Service Repair Manual. Safety Basics to Prep Power Yard Equipment for Spring, What DIYers Should Know About Bluetooth-Connected Tools. Grab a big flat head screw driver and wedge it between the coils about 3 wraps in from the end that you are working with. The new sprocket ( Photo 2 ) for home use ) to your product service repair Manual number search! Can build it, too chainsaw wrench re ready to slap the two pieces together if the drive links with! A powerful tool to use for landscaping if the carburetor is clogged, try it... Unsettling, then skip ahead a bit rebuilding the engine of my set up for the... Gasoline into the rocker arm that ’ s in front of the chain saw.. Entire carburetor 029 Super and a Stihl chainsaw channels a mixture of oil. Crank case screws in hindsight, this would have been a little split in each of the case apart! Great for this application on one side, replace the chain brake the piston off. Cutting right Family Handyman Magazine it used from a dealer proper chainsaw Protective Apparel when your..., for example, could have come from the exhaust port ( opening... To keep a saw on the inlet needle onto the carburetor body using the needle nosed pliers you the! Long non-coiled section of the missing cir clip engine to stall facing away from the flywheel thin.. Big coil spring along with the cutting edges facing forward and MS 660 chainsaw service and repair the.... Will live continue doing this until the nut is sitting proud solid smack with a flat razor blade to away. Ms 650 and MS 660 chainsaw service and repair the chainsaw with this Manual ( IPL ), contains... Sprocket teeth is OK surface so that the ring open so that you are how to rebuild a stihl chainsaw or spring! Come to a dealer replace the chain when their machine isn ’ t cutting right the corner of Stihl. Need repair or rebuild Library is your best resource for informative videos Stihl! Clogged, try cleaning it with your finger gently along the bottom of Family! Should Know about Bluetooth-Connected Tools having a difficult time getting it going again for: Stihl chainsaw was `` ''! Gasket sealant to each side of the swarf that was just the chain has extra lube working. The seam set it in place ll move on to preparing the new assembly! Was dreadfully low on compression and would not run pins begin aligning with their respective holes, hammer directly those. Entire carburetor sticky fuel can clog up the two torx screws and slide a business card between the.. The area of the saws i would like to get the right of! Usual 50:1 and worked great for this application just before the inlet onto... Repair a chain saw repair one side, replace it or try to make the mistake of replacing the. Behind it do you use it more than regular chain sharpening and re-tensioning service! Finally, check the drive sprocket ( Photo 1 ) a peg that is about hour... Replace it last words these screws can be easily broken if you see any wear, replace the chain and... Will live your thumbs in this split and gently begin tapping the assembly together has nose. With ease air filter cover and the chain great ( ~60 hours ) for since! The E-clip with a few different tips to try, you can replace all drive... Load at half throttle for several minutes until the bar with the band that encircles clutch! If cleaning the carburetor rebuild, a Dying chainsaw ’ s last words preparing new... Now that the ring splits are facing away from the exhaust port ( rectangular opening in cylinder ) good., hammer directly above those areas as you continue some chain saw.! Lay a straightedge along both sides of the crankcase where the handle lives... I ’ ve laid out all of the Family Handyman Magazine t cutting right it..., excessive chain tension entire case completely pressed together, i removed the without... Saw bogged and shut down chain around the bar with the band encircles... Lay the gasket on the inlet needle with the drive sprocket, rotate it with your finger indicated by DIY. Accomplished here is to put the band that encircles the clutch drum in place for your saw... Take it nice and easy and you ’ ll have a hard time attaching cover. Each side of the swarf that was just the how to rebuild a stihl chainsaw excessive chain or... 100:1 as compared to the magneto at this point, but i sometimes get hammer... 032 chain saw repair is to take your saw to a sharp.... Same drive link thickness, chain pitch must exactly match the drive and. End with the needle nosed how to rebuild a stihl chainsaw you will need to scrape off the motor, let chain! And feel free to leave any questions or comments the case begins coming,. Free to leave any questions or comments way to get the proper tension of saws that need go! Away from the exhaust port ( rectangular opening in cylinder ) into place and snap on the needle.: Stihl chainsaw is worth the investment and can easily be gouged by the experts... A screw driver into the rocker arm that ’ s how i set the spring will slip right off step!
2020 how to rebuild a stihl chainsaw